Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 3: Roman Naptime

Now let me clarify - Day 3 was still running off of the same sleep from the morning of Day 2. We slept in the Buffalo hotel then went to Niagara Falls, went to the airport, flew on a plane for 8 hours, and then arrived at around 8 AM the next morning. So we were pulling a band trip experience. Two days with no sleep!

My panorama of the Colosseum from the inside
Always time to take an "artistic" photo.
But still, after placing our bags in our dodgy Bread and Breakfasts' lobby, we took the (not so clean) metro to the Colosseum. Rome in general isn't very pretty. It wasn't awful, but it certainly doesn't have the perfect city charm you expect from all the hype. Of course if you are in the right part of town, everything is quite nice, but the farther you walk the more dirty and grafittied everything gets. I guess it comes from being a city. The Colosseum isn't as impressive as my pictures make it look, it's amazing at the size, but after you take that in, you do get kinda bored. There is nothing really to see there other than the ruins, and those are easily captured in photos.

My best picture of the Trevi fountain
We (meaning me) were too tired to keep going after that, so we went back to the B&B to sleep for a few hours before going back out to see the Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain. We walked. It is a long walk from the B&B but nothing that compares to the other walks I was forced to take later on in the trip. The Trevi fountain was gorgeous, but it was packed. The picture I took was lucky to just crop out all of the obnoxious heads. Though it was a busy day, I believe, I'd probably not go to the fountain again. One time only.


It seems like everyone at every tourist attraction is out to make a buck from you. People at Piazza di Popolo handed people roses and as they walked away they asked for a small tip. I don't know how you make a living from that - if you can - and it does seem quite depressing. (And obnoxious and you should probably stop trying to cheat tourists out of money for guilt.) Rome is just a city of two things, old neat things, and the people trying to exploit them.

After the walk back to the hotel, and some gelato from a rude man who talked to his friend about us being American right in front of us. (Yes, we do speak some Italian, and we aren't that funny) we promptly passed out at the B&B, and I slept for a solid 13 hours. I kid you not.

No comments:

Post a Comment